Published on 15 Nov 2022 3:06 pm (UK Time)
Manchester United have issued a response to Cristiano Ronaldo’s interview with Piers Morgan.
It reads: “Manchester United notes the media coverage regarding an interview by Cristiano Ronaldo.
“The club will consider its response after the full facts have been established.
Our focus remains on preparing for the second half of the season and continuing the momentum, belief and togetherness being built among the players, manager, staff, and fans.”
The statement comes after intensive media coverage regarding Ronaldo’s relationship with Manchester United with the forward claiming he was “betrayed” by the club.
The Portuguese gave numerous criticisms about the club, he aimed at Erik Ten Hag, Ralf Rangnick and the owners of Manchester United, the Glazer Family.
"I feel betrayed."— Piers Morgan Uncensored (@PiersUncensored) November 13, 2022
EXCLUSIVE: Cristiano Ronaldo tells Piers Morgan he feels like he's being forced out of Manchester United in an explosive interview.
90 Minutes with Ronaldo. Wednesday and Thursday at 8pm on TalkTV.@cristiano | @piersmorgan | @TalkTV | #PMU pic.twitter.com/nqp4mcXHB0
The 37-year-old said he is being forced out by Manchester United, “Not only by the coach (Erik ten Hag), but also by two or three other people around the club”.
He said: “I feel betrayed.
“Some people, I feel, don’t want me here. Not just this year, but last year too.”
On Ten Hag he said: “I don’t have respect for him because he doesn’t show respect for me.Embed from Getty Images
“If you don’t have respect for me, I’m never gonna have respect for you.”
While on Rangnick he added: “After Ole, they bring in sport directive Ralf Rangnick, which is something nobody understands.
“This guy is not even a coach. A big club like Manchester United bringing in a sport directive surprised not only me but all the world.
‘If you’re not even a coach, how are you going to be the boss of Manchester United? I’d never even heard of him.”
Ralf Rangnick joined Manchester United on an interim basis but had not been a manager for over two years when he joined United in November 2021.Embed from Getty Images
Clips about Ronaldo’s interview came hours after Erik Ten Hag reflected positively about his time at the club so far.
“We are now united,” Ten Hag said. “We have togetherness, in the dressing room, with the staff, the directors, the whole club, and the fans.
“I think we have a base. We’re going in the right direction. I think the culture has changed; the attitude, the mentality has changed and that’s good. Today, I think, is the symbol of it, when you get the win in the last dying seconds of the game.”Embed from Getty Images
Ronaldo also spoke about his relationship with Gary Neville. Piers Morgan, the interviewer, pressed on why the Portuguese ‘blanked’ the ex-Manchester United full-back.
“To listen as ex-colleagues or team-mates criticise you, when they only see one point of view. It’s easy,” Ronaldo said.
“It’s easy to criticise, I don’t know if you have a job in television that they must criticise to be more famous. I really don’t understand it.Embed from Getty Images
“It’s hard when you see people who was in the dressing room with you criticising that way.”
When asked if Neville had used his name to get attention, he responded: “I think they take advantage of that because they are not stupid.
“I’m the number one followed guy in the world. It’s not by coincidence.”
Neville responded to Ronaldo’s criticism with a series of tweets.
Anyone for dinner?— Gary Neville (@GNev2) November 15, 2022
Oooooohhhh 😂 https://t.co/pN961iDV8d— Gary Neville (@GNev2) November 14, 2022
Wayne Rooney was also a target for Ronaldo as the forward admitted he was “surprised” by Rooney’s criticisms.
He added: “It was one year ago, or six months ago. We’re here in my house, he picked up his kids here and he invited (12-year-old son) Cristiano to go to his house to play football.
“I really don’t understand people like that. Or if they want to be on a cover of the paper in the news or they want new jobs or whatever.”
This comes after Rooney criticised Ronaldo for refusing to come on as a sub for United during their clash against Spurs.
Rooney said: “Cristiano should get his head down and work and be ready to play when the manager needs you. I think if he does that, he’ll be an asset. If he doesn’t, I think it’ll become an unwanted distraction.”
Since the interview was teased on Sunday evening, Ronaldo’s only presence online was to claim he was ‘fully focused’ on the World Cup.
Foco total e absoluto nos trabalhos da Selecção Nacional. Grupo unido, rumo a um só objectivo: realizar o sonho de todos os portugueses! pic.twitter.com/iu2qlJvb62— Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) November 14, 2022
It now seems unlikely Ronaldo will be involved in Manchester United’s next competitive game against Burnley in the EFL Cup.